St mary spital square
The name Spitalfields was derived from St Mary's Spital (Hospital) which was founded in 1197. Recent excavations have uncovered the Charnel House, which can be seen in Bishop's Square. Many centuries before the hospital, the Romans used part of the area as a burial ground, and a decorated lead coffin found here is on display in the Museum of London.Spitalfields, St. Mary, Church Passage, Spital Square [1854 now gone. 1911 parish united to previous. see SAINT MARY, SPITAL SQUARE, SPITAL SQUARE, NORTON FOLGATE, STEPNEY, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA Spitalfields, St. Stephen, Commercial Street [1858 now gone. 1911 parish united to previous st mary spital square
Spital Square. Spital Square was the nucleus of the St. John and Tillard estate; the Square formed a cruciform layout, but the whole of the eastern arm and much of the northern and western arms were demolished in the 1920's and 1930's.
The Spital Square site, previously referred to as St Mary Spital (Thomas et al. 1997) is situated on the northern side of Folgate Street in North East London. It was home to the Augustinian priory and hospital of St Mary Spital, of which it was one of the largest in Medieval England. Spitalfields takes its name from the hospital and priory, St. Marys Spittel that was founded in 1197. Lying in the heart of the East End, it is an area known for its spirit and strong sense of community.st mary spital square Church of England, St Mary's Parish, Stepney. Physical description: 42 documents Immediate source of acquisition: Records (P93MRY2124) of St. Mary, Spital Square (otherwise Norton Folgate, and old Artillery Ground), Stepney, Sir George Whelers Chapel until 1842.